Inventors work with materials to prototype, share, research, iterate, and refine ideas.
Children use materials to develop and share ideas when adults…
- provide a range of materials with different sensory features and qualities
- allow children time to understand the qualities of different materials
- invite children to iterate their ideas using multiple media and dimensions
- expect children to share, collaborate, and offer feedback to each other
Teachers prototype, share, research, iterate, and refine their ideas when they…
- engage with the arts in open inquiry as professionals
- make a practice of asking themselves, “Where are the arts?” as they develop lessons
- regularly collaborate with colleagues to plan and reflect on their practice
- adopt a stance as a teacher-researcher who is a professional creator of curriculum
Thinking with Materials
Use this tool to expand children’s thinking about a key concept or question.
What Can this Material Do?
Use this tool to introduce children to new materials.