opal school online
“It’s like there’s two doors and they both lead to hallways and one has treasure in it and that’s good for you and only you. The other hallway has people who are stuck in it and they can’t get out but if you let them out they’ll be free. But you can only open one door. So
the empathic decision would be to find a 3rd door.”
Why Opal School Online?
Schools today face an unending list of false choices. Standardization or autonomy? Rigor or free play? Reading scores or recess? Opal School Online welcomes a richer vision of high quality educational experiences for children and adults. 8-year-old Paul reminds us that third doors are always possible, and together we can find them. At Opal School Online we’ll explore vital themes:
- How can schools support empathy and agency?
- What is the relationship between literacy and the arts?
- How might a pedagogy of playful inquiry draw on children’s natural learning strategies?
- What is the difference between being in charge and being in control?
- How can we better understand the habits of heart and mind that inspire young learners?
- How can the tools of the arts create conditions where children develop complex ideas?
- What happens when we hold a strong image of all children?